Why Do You Do It
by Crystal Wilson
So here’s my question for you:
Why, exactly do you do what you do?
The ideas presented in the above video are quite an alternative way of thinking about business. Embarking on the journey to the answer the question “Why” can be a daunting task, and at times may be frustrating. However, if you do take the time to do it, the subsequent rewards for you will make all the hard work feel totally worthwhile.
Some things to think about when starting the journey towards “Why”:
- What are you passionate about?
- If people could learn something from you, what would you want it to be?
- Is there a need you see in your community that you feel you need to respond to?
- You may wonder if this “Why” issue actually has a place in business. Maybe you think your purpose is simply to earn a living, and provide a good product or service.
Here’s what I think : Taking the time to discover “Why” you do what you do will go a long way in helping you to earn a living, and it will drive you to make your product/service even better than it already is.
Knowing your “Why” provides a sense of motivation like nothing else can.
Knowing your "Why" will:
- Provide you with motivation, focus, and enjoyment
- Motivate and focus your staff
- Provide inspiration and clarity for your current and prospective clients
We'll talk more about those three points later.
Until then, I encourage you to take some time to think about my questions. Watch the video again with your staff, business advisors, or board and begin the discovery process.
If you are already clear on your "Why" look for the "Why do you do what you do?" thread over at our Facebook page (www.facebook.com/flowofficewisdom) and tell us what it is! We would love to hear about it!